Friday, August 3, 2012

Grab the opportunities

My oldest daughter started Marching Band practice this week as a High School Freshman.  I don't know if Marching Band is a "sport" in all areas of the country, but in Texas, it is HUGE!  For three weeks before school starts, they practice from 7:30 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. with a three hour break in the peak heat of the afternoon.  The first few days are exhausting.  Excitement at starting something new, muscle cramps, time with friends, Texas heat, Team Spirit, New surroundings, memorizing sheet music in free time, learning to march formations, wondering if you are going to be the one who throws up today...and then hope you make the Marching group!!!!  Brad drove the carpool today, and minutes after drop off, I received the phone call.  "Mom, I didn't know I needed our marching instrument today and I don't want to march with my good flute.  Can you please bring me my marching one?  Please?  I'm sorry, I didn't know."  Hmmm, decision time.  Do I teach her a lesson and say "No.  I'll be late for work and you can use the one you have, just be careful" or do I show Grace?  I chose Grace and I am so glad I did.  I found an emotional teenage girl, tired from practice and having to wake up at 6 a.m. again, upset about the death of our dog this week...you know...just a broken down teenage girl.  I got to spend a few minutes in the Band room with her, alone, in her new environment.  It was comforting for me, and I think for her too.  We were joined by her band direcgtor who was amazingly supportive and gave her high praise to her dedication and participation.  So this morning, my prayer is this:
"Heavenly Father, thank you so much for teaching me, but mostly for showing me your Grace, your favor!  I don't deserve it, but because I am your child, I get it!!!  Just the thought of it makes me smile.  I ask you to guide me as I teach my children the lessons and responsibilities that will make them the women you have designed them to be.  Because they are your children, I know that your Grace surrounds them.  They get to live and walk in your favor daily.  Guide me, Father, as I strive to teach them in your grace.  Help meto  be like the women of character in the Bible, drawing close to you, and parenting in your light.  Be with my children as their summer winds down and their school responsibilites kick it.  Guide their hearts and minds and protect them from the influence of evil.  Send Godly men and women, boys and girls, into their lives as teachers, mentors, and friends.  And I pray that they know and feel your presence and walk in your forgiveness and Grace.  Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment